Strengthening CBM through Social Accountability tools
One of the prime instruments to bring in transparency and accountability within the system of service delivery is to strengthening community based monitoring. Social accountability tools like Citizen's Report Card, Community Score Card and Budget Tracking not only enables them to identify their rights and entitlements but also empowers them to monitor these and to have a dialogue with the government.
- Preparing Report Card on MT based education and facilities of ICDS
- Organizing interface meeting with the community members and the officials from Govt. line departments and preparation of action taken report
- Addressing issue through the proper implementation of action taken report/Preparation of advocacy ask and discussion with the concerned departments at state
Building active citizenship
This year a new initiative will be taken up in the form of building active citizenship with the facilitation of District Budget Watch Groups (DBWGs). Community members including entitlement holders, NGOs and CBOs, media, people's representatives etc. will be identified by the DBWGs as the active citizens.
This group will be capacitated on relevant programmes and schemes to carry on further dialogue with the govt. functionaries to address discrepancies in service delivery.
- Facilitating DBWGs to develop training materials on issues like SCSP & TSP, ICDS and pre-school education
- Preparation of District level Charter of Demand incorporating the issues identified by this group
Strategic engagement with relevant Govt. depts
Strategic and intensive engagement with W&CD dept, FS&CW dept, Finance, Planning and Coordination, ST&SC development department and S&ME department at State and district level is crucial to create a favorable environment for necessary policy change through sharing of information on bottlenecks of governance mechanism.
- Engagement with Finance Department, Planning & Coordination Department and W & CD department and SC & ST development department in terms of availing data/information pertaining to pre-school education, gender, SCSP & TSP
- Sharing the findings on costing of New Arunima with W & CD dept.
- Number of meetings and bilateral discussion on gender responsive budgeting in State to formulate and finalize the roadmap on GRB with W & CD dept.
Sensitize people's representatives on issues related to SC & ST development, women, agriculture, health, elementary education, maternal health and food security is one of the key components for effective implementation of development policy, programs and schemes and to bring in pro-poor and inclusive policy reform in state.
- Formation of core groups on health, education, gender and SCSP & TSP. These groups will be supplied issue specific data/information in order to generate debate during assembly session and several citizenry forums
- 2 rounds of sensitization programmes covering approximately 50 legislators on issue related to SCSP &TSP to enable them to bring an Act on SCSP and TSP in Odisha.
- Specific issue based suggestive papers (issue based questions and response to state budget) to standing committee members on Health, PDS, MDM, Education, SC & ST development Agriculture, Women and Child to be reflected in Standing committee recommendation and assembly debate for policy inclusion
- Sharing information on status and progress of thematic governance issues with the legislators, standing committee members and other public representatives at regular interval
Citizenry advocacy involves informing, educating and engaging different citizenry groups to extend outreach of advocacy on governance issues. This endeavor aims at building opinion at state and national level on ground level issues surfaced through micro and macro level research findings to bring in larger impact on governance policies and priorities.
Sharing research findings on SC & ST, women, agriculture, health, elementary education, maternal health and food security (PDS, ICDS and MDM) to Govt. departments, people's representatives and other civil society organizations
- Pre and post-budget consultation (State & district) and State and District level Citizens' Charter of Demands shared with finance minister, legislators, govt. departments, media and other key stakeholders for policy inclusion
- Citizen's Charter of Demand, policy briefs, research reports, case studies, and testimonies are shared and discussed with legislators, line departments and statutory committees at block, district and state level
- Interface for sharing the findings of planning and budgeting report with the state level govt. officials
- State level consultations with development partners, concerned govt. departments and media on the findings of Trend analysis of ICDS budget in Tribal districts (PSE, SNP and training and capacity building
- 2 consultation on the issues of SCSP and TSP with exclusively with legislators to enable them bring a bill on SCSP and TSP